• The Belgian Wildlife disease Society invites you for its 1st first meeting of 2015. This study day will take place on May 13th, 2015 at 10 am in the Visitors Center of the Bourgoyen-Ossemeersen Natural Reserve, at the western border of Ghent.
• Programme (all presentations are in Dutch)
9u.30: Admission and Coffee
10u00: Short introduction
10u05: Bart De Muynck (city of Ghent): De Bourgoyen-Ossemeersen: kennismaking
10u35: Geert Spanoghe (INBO): Vogels in de Bourgoyen-Ossemeersen
11u05: Koen Van Den Berge and Jan Gouwy (INBO): De wolf in Vlaanderen: mythe of realiteit ?
14u00: Guided visit to the Natural Reserve Bourgoyen-Ossemeersen (2 hours)
For the visit to the reserve please bring your binoculars and, depending on the weather, your hiking shoes or boots and a rain coat
• Participation is free of costs but we insist you to register your attendance via email@example.com
We are looking forward to meeting you in Ghent on Wednesday the 13th of May!
The BWDS team
Belgian Wildlife Disease Society: 2nd BWDS general meeting 2014
Study day at Natuurhulpcentrum vzw Opglabbeek, 15th of October 2014
Accredited by the Veterinary College (NGROD)
· Venue : Natuurhulpcentrum vzw Opglabbeek 2009 - Industrieweg Zuid 2051 Opglabbeek
10.00-10.30: “ Algemene inleiding ” door voorzitter Sil Janssen
10.30-11.15: “ Hoe vangen en hanteren we wilde dieren ”
Frederik Thoelen (Bioloog)
11.15-11.45: “ Stress factor bij jonge dieren en werk op de Intensive care afdeling ”
11.45-12.30: “Decision making in wild animal care “
Stef Michels / Roxanne Van der Aa (Dierenartsen)
12.30-14.00: LUNCH (offered by BWDS)
14.00-15.30: Visit of the centre and demonstrations
16.00: End of the day
Belgian Wildlife Disease Society: 1st BWDS general meeting 2014
Study day at the Univ. Liege, Sart-Tilman, 24th of April 2014
Venue : ULg, Sart-Tilmant, Faculté Vétérinaire, Bat 43b
Accredited by the Veterinary College (NGROD) EBP: 2, Number: EBP/N/2014/023.
10.00-10.30: “Comparison of direct diagnostic Tools for detection of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in wil red deer (Cervus elaphus).” Dr. Rosario Volpe, DMV (ULg)
10.30-11.00: “Hepatitis E virus infection of wild boar (Sus scrofa) in Southern Belgium.” Dr. Damien Thiry, ULg
11.00-11.30: “Home range and movement of red deer and wild boar in South Belgium, an overview.” Ir. Alain Licoppe (DEMNA-SPW)
11.30-12.00: “Overview of the wildlife disease surveillance activities maintained by the Agency for Nature and Forest.” Dr. Muriel Vervaeke (ANB)
12.00-13.30: LUNCH in Faculty RESTO (offered by the BWDS)
13.30-15.30: Visit of installations and didactical necropsy
16.00: end of the day
Confirm your participation before 15/04/2014 firstname.lastname@example.org
ACCESS TO THE VETERINARY FACULTY
avenue de Cureghem, 4000 Liège ou 4031 Angleur
Coming from Brussels (E40) or Namur (E42)
- follow direction E25 – Luxembourg
- leave the motorway at exit n°40 : Embourg
- turn right until the traffic lights
- at the traffic lights turn left and follow the direction ULg – CHU
- follow this route for 4,5 Km until the sign BWDS and turn left
- follow the signBWDS Parking 71
- when Parking 71 is full, follow the sign BWDS Parking P75
- the meeting will take place at the amphitheater C (follow BWDS Meeting)
The Belgian Wildlife Disease Society invites you to its 2nd general meeting for 2013, at Campus Drie Eiken, Antwerp University on 19 September at 10 am
Two presentations are scheduled :
(1) Prof. Cristophe Casteleyn : Manipulation techniques for restraint in hedghehogs (egel, hérisson): possibilities to block temporarily the nerves responsable for “curling-up”, using local anesthesia. Vascular preparations of hedgehogs will be used to demonstrate these techniques.
(2) Diederik Strubbe: Presentation about rose ringed parakeets (halsbandparkiet; perruche à collier) in Belgium (Brussels) and also on the isle of Mauritius where they may constitute a reservoir for pathogens of indigenous psittaciforms.
The meeting will include a short guided tour of the department Veterinary Anatomy at the UA.
Lunch can be taken on the campus.
Please send a confirmation to email@example.com if you plan to attendthe meeting
The BWDS board
The Belgian Wildlife Disease Society invites you to its first general meeting for 2013 which will take place on Wednesday 29th of May, at 10 a.m. in The Agro Biotech Faculty of the Liège University (ULG) in Gembloux.
Address: Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech (Université de Liège)
Passage des Déportés, 2, B-5030 Gembloux
--> Location of the meeting: Auditorium ZL (1st floor): use wooden staircase near to the monastery (this is n° 9 on the campus map).
Lunch can be taken at the restaurant of the faculty.
If you would like to attend, please inform us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kind regards and looking forward to seeing you in Gembloux !
The BWDS board
We invite you for the next general BWDS meeting, the last one for this year. This time we are welcomed at the INBO, Institute for Nature and Forestry (Flemish Community), at their site in Geraardsbergen (Eastern-Flanders), on Tuesday, 20 December at 10 a.m. route description
Dr. ir. Jim Casaer will first explain the role of the INBO in wildlife study and management, and then will tell us all about wild boar in Flanders. The second part of the meeting we will go for a guided tour of the labs.
The second general meeting of the Belgian Wildlife Disease Society will take place on Tuesday September 11th, 2012 at the Queen Astrid Military Hospital, Bruynstraat 1, B 1120 Neder-Over-Heembeek, in the "Salle polyvalente HMRA (bloc A-1)/ Polyvalente zaal HMRA (blok A-1)", from 10 am to 1 pm.
Four presentations are scheduled :
- A poster presentation about serologic findings in roe deer in Flanders from 2008 to 2010
(Paul Tavernier, Wildpad)
- Transmission cycles of Borrelia bacteria in a European bird tick community
(Dieter Heylen, UA)
- Ticks and Lyme disease in Belgium: a review of current knowledge
(Valérie Obsomer, UCL)
- TBE diagnosis read more
(Vanessa Suin, WIV-ISP)
In order to have an idea of the number of participants (and sandwiches at lunchtime) please inform us about your presence email@example.com
The first general assemblee for 2012 will be held on Wednesday 28 March, 10:00 to 13:30, at the Food Safety Center (FAVV- AFSCA), Kruidtuinlaan / Av. du Jardin Botanique 55, 1000 Brussels, Room K05/120321, 5th floor.
Three speakers are scheduled:
-Dr. Victor Luyasu (UCL) with a presentation about borelliosis (Lyme disease)
-Stefan Roels (CODA-CERVA) who will present an update about the most recent modalities for the OIE notification of wildlife diseases
-Leen Claes (ITM) Trichinella surveillance in foxes
We invite you for the 3rd and last BWDS general meeting of 2011. In contrast to the usual "central" locations for our meetings, this time we have chosen the wildlife rescue centre of Ostend (VOC Oostende) where we will have the opportunity to visit the new rehabilitation facilities for oiled sea birds.
The meeting will take place on Friday, December 16th, at 10 a.m. The centre is located between Ostend and Middelkerke, close to the "Provinciaal domein Raversijde" and the "Prins Karel memorial"
The agenda consists in a presentation about the problems of oil contamination on sea and the treatment of oiled sea birds. The presentation is given by Annemarie Warendorff, who is the cooperating vet at the rescue centre. Following the presentation, a 1 h visit to the rehabilitation facilities for sea birds is scheduled. Finally a (30 min.) film about the recent oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico and its impact on pelicans, will be presented.
After the lunch pause an administrative part of the meeting is scheduled during which the main agenda points will be:
(1) the evaluation of the most recent BWDS Symposium
(2) the preparation of the next OIE notification (at the beginning of 2012) about wildlife diseases.
Any others agenda points can be added.
Please send us an e-mail if you will attend the meeting
Kind regards and looking forward to seeing you in Ostend.
The BWDS board
We invite you cordially to our second general meeting for 2011 which will take place on Tuesday 21 June 2011 at 10am (until 1 pm). The location this time is at the INBO (Research Institute for Nature and Forest), Kliniekstraat 25, 1070 Brussels
We have scheduled two speakers:
1) Dr. Jo Maris (Dierengezondheidszorg Vlaanderen: DGZ) : Anaplasmosis
2) Dr. Walter Fagot (Gent) : Forensic entomology
The presentations will be followed by a short "administrative chapter"
The Belgian Wildlife Disease Society invites you for its first general assembly of this year on Friday, 25 March 2011 from 10 am to 1 pm. This time the meeting will take place in the building FoodSafetyCenter (FAVV-AFSCA), Boulevard du Jardin Botanique / Kruidtuinlaan 55, Brussels, meeting room KO/120321.
The agenda includes two presentations by invited speakers and an administrative part during which the new BWDS website will be presented among other subjects.
The two invited speakers with their respective subjects are:
- Dr. Reginald De Deken (Institute of Tropical Medicine, ITM) :
- Dr. Ir. Jim Casaer (Research Institute for Nature and Forest, INBO):
- Dr. Stefan Roels (Veterinary and Agrochemical Research Centre, CODA-CERVA):